JMC 194: 86031 and 86032 Studio Production
Mon 4:10-6:00 pm or Thurs. 1:30-3:20
Location: Cronkite 602/604
Instructor: Dave Cornelius
Office: Cronkite 402K
Attendance: You are expected to attend every class and be on time. Every member of the class will be needed to fulfill important production roles each week. This is only a seven-week class. Any absence will affect your grade negatively.
Course goals and objectives:
- Develop familiarity with studio equipment, its care, operation and basic production procedures.
- Introduce the vocabulary of production.
- Demonstrate the importance of cooperation and collaboration. Develop the ability to function as a member of a production team.
- Develop sound attitudes towards assignments and constructive criticism.
- Develop an appreciation of the production process as a communication tool.
- Discuss career opportunities in the diverse marketplace.
Week 1 – Studio and Control Room overview. Positions and vocabulary ie: Technical Director, Director, Graphics, Audio etc.
Week 2 – Newscast training
Week 3 – Newscast training
Week 4 – Newscast training
Week 5 – Newscast training
Week 6 – Newscast training
Week 7 – Newscast training
The goal is to get everyone to experience each position required for a newscast. We will rotate throughout the class to each position.
- Technical Director
- Video playback operator
- Graphics/Chyron operator
- Audio operator
- Teleprompter operator
- Floor Director
- Camera 1
- Camera 2
- Camera 3
We will also use 2-3 anchors for each show a lead reporter and eventually weather person.